9.12.2005

Thank you U.S.A.

I woke up this morning and read what I typed last before. I don’t remember much about the later part of the night, but I made it home and so did my wallet and computer. This is one of the perks of living on the only Caribbean Island with a crime rate of zero just the occasional tourist with light fingers or a taste for the wild life.
Now if I am going to tell you about myself the first thing I should tell you about myself is that my real name isn’t Jim but that’s what they call me here. As a matter of fact Edona isn’t really Edona either but it will do here.
In fact I should really begin with Edona. When I first visited the Island I was shocked. People reacted very differently to me here. The first time I walked thru the tunnel into town I was followed by a slightly crazed Rasta type who kept talking to me in German. The only English words he said were; “You’re the German one, I know you are.”
Later on a man without the Rasta hair, but with a very cool pair of shades approached me and said; “You’re with the forces aren’t you. I recognize you. Is it England or America?”
I didn’t know what to say because although he wasn’t making any sense to me on the level I was listening on, he did make sense on another whole level.”
The island had had an interesting past. Discovered by Christopher Columbus, it had been battled around by a number of nations usually the English and the French. Once the entire indigenous male population had been killed and the women left as wives, mistresses and slaves. Eventually the French left and created the French Canadian population in Northern Canada. These were an interesting and tough set of Islanders. They were so ready for the “God” force that they didn’t even really need the fluoride in the drinking water, they would have been spiritual with just the toothpaste. By the way, I hope you know about buying toothpaste from the dollar store, be very careful about what country it was made to be sold in. I won’t say more but read the labels and do your homework.
There is a very good reason for people walking up to you in the street and knowing you have secrets you may not be
Aware of. Some of the locals have moved a little to far into their own worlds and wander the streets talking to them selves. They look like urban crazies in any city upon the globe. They just look a little more out of place in paradise.
The zero point for Edona arrived when a motley crew of Edonians, Cubans, Russians and Libyans tried to take over the country. There wasn’t much to take over at that point in time. The Edonians certainly didn’t receive much help from the Commonwealth they belonged to. Maybe the spice filled volcanic island had less to protect than the wind and sheep scattered Falkland Islands. It certainly didn’t take long for the free world leader to re-instate democracy. To this day you can see “Thank you USA” graffiti across the island. You don’t see that many places around the world.